Wednesday, May 7, 2008

W6D2 - Last Interval Run

I just completed my last interval run of the program; from here on out, it's all running, all the time! Yay! I am so happy and amazed I've come this far. Today's run went really well; Combined with the warm up and cool down walks, I covered 2.5 miles in about 40 minutes (I usually just cover 2 miles in about 30-35 minutes). This is slower than my 5K, but I took that first 10 minute run and the cool down walk very slowly. I covered 1.5 miles during the interval portion (10-3-10) in 23.5 minutes.

I got really sick of the podrunner podcast music on Monday, so I decided to use my own music today and use my crappy Target watch (that doesn't even have a countdown timer) to keep time. I was worried this may make the run harder because I'd have to keep looking at my watch and agonizing about how long I had left, but it worked out well. I walked one full loop for the warm up (.5 miles) then reset my watch. I knew the loop takes me 7-8 minutes to complete, so I did not look at my watch until I completed the loop. This meant I only had to keep looking at my watch for the last 2 minutes or so and I wasn't really dying to look at it all the time either. The runs felt pretty comfortable.

My new GPS watch (the Garmin Forerunner 305--still on sale for $164.99) should arrive tomorrow, so I'll have it in time for my 25 minute run on Friday. I am really excited because I'll be able to focus on my running and breathing and let the watch focus on my distance, pace, and time. This will hopefully make running those long times and tracking my progress easier as I work up to comfortably running 5k and then train for a 10k.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails