Saturday, May 24, 2008

Easy Pesto Salmon

Easy Pesto Salmon
I love that Publix puts recipes in the packages of meat and fish. Sometimes they are just general cooking instructions, but other times it is a full easy and delicious recipe, such as this one. I used the bake option because it somehow seemed wrong to microwave this (and it seemed like wrapping it would get messy--plus baking it gave me time to clean the dishes I used and the counter before sitting down to eat).

Ingredients:
- 1 lb salmon fillet, skin removed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 package of prepared refrigerated pesto sauce

Instructions:
1) Rinse salmon fillet under cold water and pat dry.

2) Place in a glass pie plate and baste with olive oil and minced garlic. (Although fresh garlic is always best, I think the pesto sauce was flavorful and oily enough that you probably do not need this step. I may just season it with some garlic powder next time before adding the sauce.)

3) Spread an even amount of pesto sauce until the fillet is well coated with approximately 1/4 inch layer of sauce (I don't think I used this much and it was plenty rich and tasty).

4a) Cover in plastic wrap and place in microwave for 3 - 3 1/2 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

OR

4b) Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Do not cover or turn if baking.

5) Serve hot. I served it with the leftover veggies from last night, which where skillet potatoes and green beans.

2 comments:

araqnid said...

Sounds tasty! Microwaving salmon fillets usually works out fairly well... I do it when I get shrink-wrap-packed salmon, where the shrink-wrap doubles as a cover. Or just stick it on a plate and cover with film from a roll...

But generally, salmon fillets, trout fillets etc. are just lovely. Another way I do them is to steam the fish and then combine with couscous and some sort of tomato sauce--- a pre-prepared pasta sauce can work well for that. Although that's a bit of a bare meal, some additional veggies are good if you've got them around (steamed kale or spinach here, for example).

Kitzzy said...

Good to know about the microwaving. It seems that the way my cooking is going lately, I'll make enough of either the main entry or the side dishes to have leftovers but not the whole meal. This kinda works out nicely so I always have something freshly cooked :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails