Sunday, January 1, 2012

Race Report: DeLeon Springs Half Marathon


Finishing my 12th half marathon in my 2nd fastest time was the perfect way to kick off 2012. Even though I didn't meet my goal or PR, I'm really glad I ran this race and very pleased with my performance. 

I missed a PR by only 4 minutes but it was my 2nd fastest time, and I fought for it until the last mile. Let's get the stats out of the way
  • Garmin - 13.2 mi in 2:27:53 @ 11:12 pace
  • Official gun time - 2:28 @ 11:18 pace
  • Overall - 153 / 182
  • AG - 6/9
  • Splits: 11:32 - 11:46 - 11:30 - 11:23 - 11:28 - 10:38 - 10:51 - 11:05 - 11:01 - 11:03 - 11:06 - 10:49 - 11:38 - 10:24 (.2 in 2:05)


We arrived about 45 minutes before the start, so I could get my packet and Jason could register. It was a chilly 47ยบ  so we quickly retreated to the car to stay warm. With about 20 minutes to spare, we did a quick warm up and met up with some half fanatics for a photo op. Before long, we were off!

I ran with 3/1 intervals most of the way, then coasted to the finish at a steady pace during the last mile because I couldn't push any more. I missed a PR by only 4 minutes but it was my 2nd fastest time, and I fought for it until the last mile, so I'm really pleased with my performance. Considering I have the beginnings of a cold and it got hot enough during the 2nd half that I ran the last 2-3 miles in my sports bra, I ran the best race I had in me and that's all I can ask for.  I'm also not really in HM race shape since all my speed work has been for the marathon, but I will be working on my HM speed in February after marathons 3 & 4.

I tried to resist the urge to overdress too much when it was below 50* at the start, but I still could have done without a few things. I wore my short sleeve half fanatic shirt, which is really warm, with the green running skirt, and black knee high compression socks.  I wished I wore sunglasses, but at least I had a hat. I shed the gloves at mile 2, the arm warmers at mile 3, the headband not long after, and my shirt during the last mile or 2. Not sure I'm in sports bra only shape, but at that point I really didn't care. 

I really liked the race. The water stops were ample and well supported. While some might find the course boring, it's a straight out and back on a country road, I found it serene. Due to the small field size, I ran a lot of it alone, but there was always someone nearby to catch, leapfrog or to cheer for coming in the other direction. It was great meeting up with fellow half fanatics and Matia before the race and cheering for each other on the course.  There was plenty of post-race food, including bananas, grapes, pretzels, apples, and energy bars. Jason placed 3rd in his age group, so we hung around for the raffle and the awards then drive straight home and I did some yoga while Jason showered. I'd run this race again, and I recommend it if you want something local, low key and small.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails