Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day Fun

Leap Day Walk - 2.9 miles @ 2.9 mph
Today's 12athon Leap Day bonus challenge was to run/walk 2.9 miles for 2.9 points. Since I'm in taper and today was a rest day,  I completed this challenge by walking instead. My normal daily walk to/from the bus would cover this, so I wanted an additional challenge. Since I couldn't attempt to run 2.9 miles in 29 minutes, I had some fun trying to finish with an average of exactly 2.9 mph.

It was certainly a challenge to stay at this "speed." My usual walking speed is closer to 3.2-3.3 (no I don't usually track my walking in mph, so I had to do some math) but this was nice because 1.5 of these miles was walking to campus for a meeting and it warmed up a lot so this helped make sure I wasn't a sweaty mess when I got to the meeting. Every time it would it would dip to 3.0, I'd have to take a few baby steps to get it back down to 2.9. Oh man, did this make my day. It's the small pleasures in life :)

It seems today was all about slowing down, because my Daily Challenge was to schedule a 10 minute nap or rest today. I couldn't take the time to do this at work, so I did it on the bus. Instead of playing on my phone as soon as I got on the bus, I set a timer for 10 minutes, put pandora on the yoga station and meditated for 10 minutes with my eyes clothes and focused on my breathing. It was hard because my mind wouldn't stop and the music was putting me to sleep, but I kept at it until the 10 minutes were up. The yoga station is great though. I will be using it for my morning bus yoga from now on.

I had plans to do a photo shoot with Jason of us leaping, but we lost the sunlight. I'm kinda glad it turned out this way. What better way to spend this extra day than by slowing down and enjoying small pleasures, something I often take for granted in my otherwise super active days.

Happy Leap Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails