I miraculously slept in until 8 am today, then promptly did 25 minutes of yoga. Most of the soreness from yesterday's 22 miler was gone, but then we embarked on a marathon cooking and cleaning session (bathroom including scrubbing the tub + laundry) that completely destroyed my legs and hips. We wanted to cook all perishables before we go on vacation, and I felt like baking ... a LOT. Below is a list of everything Jason and I cooked/baked/prepared today, with recipe links if you want to try them yourself :)
- Granola - we make 1-2 batches per week
- Whole Wheat Bread (bread machine recipe) - Jason also make this weekly
- Spinach/Pesto Humus - I don't follow a recipe, just combined the following to taste: chickpeas, olive oil, dash of sesame oil (instead of tahini), garlic, basil, spinach, walnuts, salt and pepper
- Quiche with Homemade Whole Wheat Crust - toppings: spinach, basil, garlic, green peas, spices.
- Mint Ice Cream - half & half, honey, maple syrup and mint extract
- Whole Wheat Crackers - needed something to dip in the humus ;)
- Whole Wheat Biscuits - for the vegetarian chili I made yesterday, but tried using the food processor to mix it and they came out horrible and had to toss them :(
- Spinach, Feta and Orzo Salad - trying to use up the spinach
- Whole Wheat Cut Out Cookies (Ginger/Cinnamon) - couldn't find my gingerbread man mold, so I just make little round cookies, like ginger snaps.
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies - needed something with chocolate :)
- Eggplant Balls - dinner to use up the eggplant, served with marinara sauce.
In addition to this, we have a ton of leftovers from the past few days, so we shouldn't need to cook much for the rest of the week. That will make it a lot less stressful so we can just relax when we get home from work.
- Vegetarian Chili - no recipe, I just wing it. This one had black beans, yellow and orange bell peppers, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, frozen corn, and the usual spices served over quinoa for extra protein and texture.
- Chickpea Vegetable Bake - Another great way to use up lots of veggies before they go bad. The chickpeas provide the protein and are just so yummy. We used butternut squash, red onions, asparagus, red and sweet potatoes, chickpeas, almonds and seasoned it with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Baked Falafel - in case you haven't noticed, we love chickpeas ;) Served this with mashed potatoes and sauté green beens in olive oil and balsamic vinegar with garlic, red onions and almonds.
- Tomato Curry Lentil Stew