Wednesday, June 4, 2008

W10D2 (W7D2 revisited)

It seems every good run must be followed by a challenging one. I didn't want to get up this morning. When I woke up, my calves hurt, and I wasn't sure I should run. I decided to get up, do a bit of yoga and see how I felt. I am usually sore just laying in bed, but I am fine once I start moving around. I felt good after the warm up/stretch, so I headed out. I walked a full 1/2 mile at a very brisk pace for the warm up then begin to run. About 2/3 into the first mile, my iPod died. I always wanted to try running without music, so I guess I got my wish. It wasn't so bad except that all I had to focus on was how far I had left to run.

My splits:
Mile 1 - 14:08
Mile 2 - 13:48
Finish (.5) - 13:15
Total: 2.5 miles in 34:34 minutes, avg pace: 13:83
With the warm up and cool down walk, I covered a total of 3.51 miles

My pace overall was slower than Monday, but I am ok with that. I do not need to push myself every time I run and it was warmer since I started after 7 a.m. I think I like running at night better (at least I seem to do better), or maybe is just that I need to actually get out there at 6 a.m. :) One of the reasons I decided to go for the run this morning, instead of trying to fit it in tonight, was because the race will be at 7:30 a.m. and I need to get my body used to running when is warmer.

I will definitely start slower at the 5K race so I have enough steam for the end. I want to run the whole thing and finish strong. It's only .6 miles more than I have done so far, so I think I can do it if I pace myself well. I'll run at least 2.75 miles before then so it will only be at most .26 miles longer than my longest run. As if you did not see it coming, I've yet again changed my mind about my running schedule. I think revisiting weeks 7-9 has worked well so far, so I think I will continue with that through next week and start the new schedule 1-2 weeks after the race once I've officially graduated from C25K. I don't want to push myself too much before the race and I want to give my body a rest after. So here is my current plan until the race and the following week or so:

DayDatePlanNotes
Fri6/6W7D3 - 2.5 milesif I feel good, I'll run a tad extra to get closer to 2.75, maybe 2.65
Sat6/7rest / crossprobably a bike ride and some yoga
Sun6/8W8D1 - 2.75 miles
Mon6/9rest / crossbike to work and maybe some yoga or strength training
Tue6/10W8D2 - 2.75 milesif I feel good, I'll run a tad extra to get closer to 3, maybe 2.85
Wed6/11rest / crossbike to work and maybe some yoga or strength training
Thu6/12W8D2 - 2.75 milesif I feel good, I'll run a tad extra to get closer to 3, but I don't want to push it too much so close to the race. At the same time, I'd love to actually run 5K prior to the race
Fri6/13rest / yoganothing extraneous on this day, including biking to work. I may go for a short walk, eat a nice pasta dinner, do some yoga before bed, and go to bed early
Sat6/145K Race(will also count as W9D1)
Sun6/15YOGA!A true day of rest with lots of yoga, stretching and taking it easy. I'll probably be going to my parents for Father's Day anyway.
Mon6/16rest / crossbike to work and maybe some yoga or strength training
Tue6/17W9D2 - 3 miles
Wed6/18rest / crossbike to work and maybe some yoga or strength training
Thu6/19W9D3 - 3 miles C25K GRADUATION!!
Fri6/20rest / crossHiking / geocaching while camping?
Sat6/21rest / crossHiking / geocaching while camping?
Sun6/22Start new running schedulewith 3 mile long run

1 comment:

Aaron Cunningham said...

Cound you through your comment on I'm a runner?. You're just jammin' along.

Your five day plan in the comments there seems sane to me.

I'd run 3 on 6/10 and 6/12. I think that it wouldn't be a problem fo ryou, and it would increase your confidence for the race.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails