Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Three Things Tuesday

1. Turbo Kick

I went to the YMCA after work yesterday for what I thought was a kickboxing class. The instructor was way too peppy and it felt more like a hip hop class, so I left after 30 minutes for a different workout. I realized this morning that it was a Turbo Kick class:
a combination of super-fun kickboxing moves, as well as dance moves, all perfectly choreographed to high energy and motivating music. It's an amazing cardiovascular workout that's a unique blend of cardio intervals, strength/endurance training and a relaxing cool-down. 
It was a good workout, but I don't care for the combination. I really prefer the traditional kickboxing moves that make me feel powerful, and help me tone and build strength. This class just made me feel sloppy and uncoordinated.

2. The Next Level - Functional Training

Instead of the rest of the Turbo Kick class, I went to the Loft (new room at the Y) and tried their new functional training workout called "The Next Level," which focuses on core, balance and strength, fast twitch power and endurance.  It was a circuit of 4 stations, with 3 exercises per station that we did twice for 30 seconds on, 15 seconds off. The exercises ranged from using kettle bells, balance dome, rope ladder, and TRX. It involved a lot of jumping and plyometrics that really got the heart rate up, and strength training such as squats and push ups. It was a nice variation for cross straining and a change of pace, so I'm going to try to incorporate this into my routine once a week.

3. Virtual Race Report

The Mordor Half Marathon is the greatest race report ever, which was written for Jamoosh’s Virtual Halfathon. I wish I had seen this virtual race before and signed up. It's all about the race report and doesn't require any actual running. How awesome! Maybe I should bandit the race and write a race report anyway ;)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts with Thumbnails