Thursday, April 8, 2010

Should I Tri?

Training for and completing the marathon reignited my love for running, and I don't ever want to stop. I'm getting faster and my endurance is outstanding. I could run for hours, and I do, and I LOVE it! I feel so powerful when I run, and it helps keep me sane. This is why on an almost daily basis I go back and forth on whether I want to train for triathlons this season or just focus on my running.

Last season my running suffered because I was too focus on swimming and biking and barely ran more than 2-3 miles the entire season; I don't want that to happen again. In fact, I can't let it happen. I'll be training for a fall marathon, probably the Space Coast Marathon during Thanksgiving weekend, so I need to keep up with my running to be able to run 12 miles at the start of the training in June.

On the one hand, I enjoy the additional challenge of a triathlon, the great community that goes with it, and the benefits of cross training. I know that I'll get the bug when I see others, like Jason, start participating in triathlons. There also aren't many road races in Florida until the fall, other than 5Ks, so I'd be running with no goal in mind other than maintenance and I always do better when I'm training for a specific race.

On the other hand, I really want to work on improving my running speed, so that means I can't jeopardize any of my running workouts because of swimming or biking. I also want to keep up with core and strength training and I'm having a hard time finding the time to fit it all in without risking overtraining, injury or burn out. I guess the best thing to do is to focus on my running, bike and swim for cross training as best I can, and if I'm ready when the time comes sign up for a tri to mix thing sup. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails