Friday, February 12, 2010

What I Do When I'm Not Training

Chelsi commented in the post "Who's out there? (Comments Requested)" and said that she'd like to read more about my non-training adventures. The truth is that training, work, and sleep takes up most of my time -- especially when training for a marathon or triathlon -- but I really want to make time for other things.

About 6 months ago, I realized that I needed a better balance and a hobby that did not require physical activity, so I took improv classes again. It was just what I needed and I had a blast at the SAK Graduation Show. I hope to take classes next time they offer masters classes and will be sure to post about them here.

Other things that I enjoy doing when I am not training, which I need to remember to do more often, include: reading, bike hashing, run hashing, geocaching, camping, and photography. I also used to be an avid swing dancer, going 3-5 times a week, when I was in my 20s. That is how Jason and I first got to know each other because we were dance partners. We go occasionally, but I really want to start doing it more regularly. It's a great workout and so much fun. We're planning to go the UCF Valentine's Dance tonight! I'm excited! :)

In my 101 Things in 1001 Days list I outlined several adventures that I'd like to try that have nothing to do with training or running. Here's the list:
  • dine in the dark (it's an actual restaurant where you dine in complete darkness)
  • do a corn maze
  • get SCUBA diving license
  • go cross-country skiing
  • go fishing
  • go hang gliding
  • go on a real primitive camping trip (where we have to hike or canoe to the site with our gear)
  • go on a yoga retreat (with Chaz from YOGAmazing)
  • go sailing
  • go shark cage diving
  • ride in a hot air balloon
  • try a float tank
  • go on a road trip with no pre-planned destination
  • visit 5 new states
  • visit a new continent
I'll keep you posted if I do any of those and will be sure to write all about it here. 

1 comment:

Mama said...

I love the story of how you and Jason met - swing dancing -so cool. I have a big list of adventures I'm wanting to do as well (on 43 things.com) , I think it's great to keep them written down and motivates you to accomplish them! I've ridden in a hot air balloon at the Albequerque Balloon Festival and highly recommend it.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails