Thursday, June 11, 2009

Salute to My Running Parents



This week's topic for Take It and Run Thursday at the Runner's Lounge Blog is Salute to Running Dads. Since I missed the Salute to Running Moms in May, and my mom's birthday happens to be on father's day, I figured I'd expand this and do a salute to both my running parents.


Dad


My dad has been a runner my entire life. He is my inspiration, even though I did not fully appreciate it at the time. I remember going to countless races when we lived in Puerto Rico and when he ran the NYC Marathon. He even won a few age group awards. Back then I saw running as something I would never be able to do. 


When I finally discovered the joy of running, I was happy to be able to finally share this with dad and speak the same language :) He stopped running for about 7 years and started again shortly after I started running to train for the Race for the Taste 10k we all ran together. He finished about good 15 minutes before me, but waited near the end and ran with me to the finish line. I also got to share his first half marathon, even if he beat me by 30 minutes! :) As I was rounding the turn to the finish line, I saw both mom and dad there and they ran with me to the end. It was awesome! My dad has run 3 marathons (Disney + NYC 2x), 1 half marathon, and countless 5Ks and 10Ks.


Mom


Mom started walking and running after I did to lose weight, and now she is addicted to 5Ks. She recently had surgery and one of the first things she said to me when I called was about how now she wouldn't be able to run for weeks. I think she is the cutest runner ever! Don't believe me? See the video evidence. We ran the Disney Royal 5K together and hope to run many more in the future when she recovers from surgery.


Here is to many more runs with the best parents in the world! Love you mom and dad! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your parents are so sweet!

I gave you a blog award today! You can check it out here and pass it along. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails