Monday, June 15, 2009

Commuting vs Training Rides

The reason we started biking to work was to save money/gas and use the car less, while getting some exercise in the process. In the excitement of getting new bikes and training for a tri/du, we kinda forgot that, and we were treating each ride as a training session. This left us exhausted and I often only rode to work once a week. We're going to start commuting to work at an easy pace so that I can do it more often, since it defeats the purpose when Jason rides and I drive. The more I do this, the faster this easy pace will be with less effort.
Today was my first ride with the cadence sensor. Jason read that a good target is 70-90. I found it fairly easy to maintain that, since I usually try to ride in the highest gear that feels comfortable without mashing the pedals. I stayed in the lowest front gear the entire ride since I was taking it easy, but I am curious what kind of cadence I can maintain when I am using higher gears and going fast. I may try that out on the ride home or tomorrow morning if I get up early enough for a short brick workout.
Stats (avg/max):
  • distance: 14.45 miles
  • time: 1:12:46
  • pace: 11.9 / 18.5 mph 
  • heart rate: 116 bpm / 151 bpm 
  • cadence: 76 rpm / 105 rpm
  • wild life count: 3 bunnies, 1 snake, 2 birds, 1 dog =)
ETA - Ride Home:
  
I intended to take it even easier on the ride home, but I just couldn't help myself. I find that I can ride faster when I am by myself because it helps pass the time. I averaged ~13 mph for the first 4-5 miles, then eased up a bit until the last 5. The weather was surprisingly cool and breezy, but not overly windy--like it had just rained or it was about it. I think that helped a ton. I felt great when I got home and considered going for a run, but I was hungry and wanted to save something for tomorrow. I think I need to buy new gloves because the area below my thumb on the palm of my hand is starting to blister/chafe.

Stats (avg/max):
  • distance: 14.4 miles
  • time: 01:10:05
  • pace: 12.3 / 21.3 mph 
  • heart rate: 122 / 152 bpm 
  • cadence: 76 / 102 rpm
  • wild life count: 1 squirrel, 1 bunny, and about a dozen birds (another way I help pass the time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails