Sunday, July 19, 2009

6 Miler Long Run + Speed Play

Jason and I woke up early and drove to Lake Baldwin for a long run. I'm trying to slowly build up my millage again to be ready to start half marathon training in September after the Trek Women Triathlon. I went a total of 6 miles in 1 hour 16 minutes (11:43 pace). I haven't run this far in a long time, and it felt great. 

I took it easy for the first 2.5 mile loop to see how my body would react after yesterday's punishment: 1m run, 30s walk for most if it, then ran the last 1/4 mile to the car. I stopped for a quick break to refill the 2 water bottles on my hydration belt, then I was off for another loop. I finished this loop in 33:35 @ 13:23 avg pace.

I changed it up for the 2nd loop to get in a bit of speed play and speed up my average pace: 
  • 1m run at an easy-med pace
  • 30s hard run
  • 30s walk
  • 30s slow jog
  • repeat (with some variations when I lost track of the intervals or needed an extra 30 seconds of rest--walk/jog).
At the 4 mile mark, I extended the intervals and ran a 1/4 mile before walking with 30 second sprints every few minutes. I finished the 2nd loop in 30:45 @ 12:19 pace. During the last mile, I ran 1/2 mile with some 30s sprints, walked for a minute, then ran the last 1/2 mile with 30s sprints. I finished the last mile in 11:50.

This was a great workout, but my quads are hating me a bit for doing all those sprints (and residual aches from yesterday's hilly ride). We got started at 7 am this time, so the weather was nice for most of the run. I really like changing up the pattern and throwing in the sprints after the first loop (which I use as a warm up). It really helps get my legs used to running fast, and it gives me something to focus on and distract me, so the time flies. I'm hoping to do 3 loops, 7.5 miles, next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails