Saturday, September 10, 2011

Race Report: Puzzle Run 10K

Puzzle Run medal I ran my 6th 10K race last Saturday, on my birthday, and had a blast. It was my first race since May, and I was really itching to see what I could do. My goal was 1:05, or at least PR. I didn't make goal #1, but I did PR by 30 seconds, so I'll take it. Considering how much warmer, humid, and hilly this race was than my previous PR in Winter Park last March, I'm surprised I managed to PR at all (though I would have been a little disappointed if I hadn't). Part of me still wonders if I could have push harder to get under 1:05, but I feel like I ran a great race; I'm keeping my eye on the prize for my November marathon, so I probably held back a little.

Official Results:


  • Chip time: 1:06:20
  • Pace: 10:40
  • AG: 6 / 11
  • Gender: 55 / 91
  • Overall: 118 / 170



Pre-Race:  We arrived at the race site pretty early, and there was a chill in the air, so we sat in the car for a few minutes then went for a warm up run. I ended up running 1.5 miles and finishing about 15 minutes before the race. I was already drenched in sweat. It was cool, but still humid. I found my Galloway group, and we headed to the start line. 

Course: The race was in Oakland, next to Clermont -- yup, that means hills, but my training more than prepared me for it because they didn't seem that daunting. The course was very scenic, mostly shaded, and well supported with water, gatorade, and gels. For such a small race, less than 400 people, this was impressive. They also had a 5K, so the 10K course was 2 loops. I really did not mind this too much because I could take in the gorgeous scenery during the first loop, then turn it into high gear during the second loop. Of course this meant we had to suffer the hills twice, but at least we knew what to expect the 2nd time around and could plan for them. 

The Race: I started with my group, but since everyone had different strategies and goals, we spread out over the first mile but Heather and I stayed together the whole time. It was nice to push myself and still run with someone. I was on pace for a 1:05 finish through mile 4, but faded at the end, yet still a PR by 30s.  I ran with 3/1 intervals, instead of my intended 2/1, and as you can see from my splits below I started a bit too fast which is probably why I faded during the last 2 miles. I wonder if running 2/1 intervals would have made a difference, but I'll never know. 

Target / Actual
11:09 - 10:47
10:53 - 10:44
10:37 - 10:25
10:21 - 10:26
10:05 - 11:02
9:49 - 10:59

The best part of the race was when blog reader Clare recognized me during the run as she was doing the 5K. I felt like such a celebrity :)

Post-Race: I was spent and in a dizzy stupor grabbed a water bottle and race medal, which was a neat puzzle necklace (pictured above). It's my favorite because I can actually wear it everyday. Soon we had all crossed the finish line, regrouped for a photo, then  refueled while we waited for the awards since Jason placed 2nd in his age group in the 5K, then it was off to birthday festivities. First my parents for lunch and baby time, then dinner at Cafe 118 (delish! Highly recommend it), then a foldie bike ride for ice cream. It was a full day of fun and I was utterly exhausted when it was over. The true measure of success :) Until next year!

Galloway Group at Puzzle Run

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails