Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Walk to Work

In preparation for Saturday's 2 Mile Run/Walk in Winter Park, I started walking 2 miles each afternoon to get used to it and figure out my pace. So far I seem to be able to do it within 35-45 minutes. I could probably walk it faster, but I am just getting used to the distance. It also serves as a great warmup for my cardio/weight workout that I do immediately after the walk.

Taking the back roads through my neighborhood, it is a 2 mile route to work on foot or bike. I walked it this morning in under 40 minutes--not bad considering I had a backpack full of stuff (including my lunch, snacks, water, and laptop) and had to stop to take off my jacket and get some water out of my bag.

I've been hesitant to bike this because of the backpack, and what the wind will do to my hair, but it would be much quicker than walking. It is also quicker and shorter to bike than to drive my car because I don't have to deal with traffic and the direct route is half the distance of driving. Since I teach early in the morning 2 days a week, I won't bike/walk on those days so I am going to try to bring extra food and water on those days to lighten the load on the days I walk/bike. If I can pull this off, I would walk/bike 4 miles each day plus the 20-30 minutes of cardio/weights when I get home, and doing physical activity in the mornings wakes me up and sets a good tone for the rest of the day. The problem comes when it's not so cool out or it rains.

The trip to Mexico through off my weight and workout regimen, so I'll post a fitness update after this Friday's weigh-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails