Thursday, May 5, 2011

Three Things Thursday: Hill Repeats, Bike Month, Century Ride

1) Hill Repeats w/Jason

Yesterday I got to run with Jason, since he needed an easy run. His easy pace is near my race pace, or at least tempo pace, so it's always a great workout for me that pushes my limits. To further prepare for next weekend's race, I wanted to do some hill repeats. While Florida is mostly flat, we do have pockets of hills here and there. There is a block near my apartment with a reasonable steep hill. We ran 4 loops around this block. As if hills weren't tough enough, it was a speedy run for me as I tried to keep up with Jason's easy pace =P

We ran a total of 3 miles in 32:47, for an average pace of 10:51 m/m, which is pretty fast for me outside of a race even without the hills, so I'm super proud of it. I did a pretty good job keeping up with him for the first mile, which I ran in 10:21.  Mile 2 was 11:45, which included the hills and short walk between repeats. I was pretty tired after that and wanted to quit at 2.5, but Jason wouldn't let me. I took a walk break instead then pushed through to finish mile 3 in 10:26. This was a tough workout, yet kind of awesome =P There's a kind of awe that comes with conquering hills and despite the fatigue and pain, I felt really strong and all the more ready for this race.

2) May is National Bike Month

May is National Bike Month, and I've been busy planning social rides for Commute Orlando and Bike/Walk Central Florida to celebrate and get people out riding their bikes.

The fun starts tomorrow morning with a bike bus to Infusion Tea to join the Mayor's Bike to Work Ride and be part of Orlando's First Bicycle Flash Mob. We hope to have a huge turn out, shoot lots of video, and put it on YouTube. So if you have a bike, any bike, talk to your boss about coming in a little later and join us as we make history!

The celebration continues throughout the month with an Ice Cream Ride on May 14, Cycling Savvy on May 21, and Geocaching with the UCF Bike Bus on May 22. Check out Commute Orlando for all the details.

3) CF Cycle For Life


I'm finally going to train for a century ride. This morning I registerd for the CF Cycle For Life charity ride hosted by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and supported by Orlando Cycling Savvy, who will assist with route development, rider information materials, and a century training program.

From the CF site:
A memorable ride through some of the most scenic terrains in Central Florida, starting and finishing at Lake Sylvan Park in Sanford, FL and traveling through Seminole and Orange counties. You have a choice of three mileage options; 100 miles, 65 miles or a less challenging 35 mile route. Cycle at your own pace… this is not a race!
I'll be riding as part of the CyclingSavvy Team. I know I can at least do the 35 miles, but I want to push myself and do the full 100 miles. Since I'll also be training for a marathon in November, I'll train for the full century if I can but have the option to fall back to a shorter route if needed.

If you'd like to donate, or join the CyclingSavvy team, visit my CF Page.

Cinco the Mayo Special!: Today only, registration is just $5. You will still need to raise a minimum of $150 participate in the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails