Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Practicing Determination

Determination

I know that a well designed training plan includes a variety of components. The most common ones are endurance and speed. I also know that rest is a key component of training, and just as important as putting in the miles or doing speed work. I even know the importance flexibility, core, and strength training, even if I often don't make enough time for them. Today it dawned on me that I often forget a really key component that needs to be practiced -- determination -- or pushing past my limits, be it physical or mental.

All the endurance and speed in the world won't do me any good when I need to dig deep at the end of a race but I feel like quitting. Forcing myself to work out when I don't want to without a good enough reason, and having it be a really good workout, exercises that part of my brain that looks for excuses when I don't want to push myself. I am capable of so much more, but I often hold myself back. Before both of my rides today (to and from work), I tried to convince myself that I shouldn't ride. I had all kinds of excuses: sleepy, too tired, hip hurt, long day at work, it's hot, blah, blah, blah. I managed to suck it up and get out there, and I had 2 great rides.

Saturday cannot come soon enough. I'm so ready for this duathlon, and this week is taking forever! Seriously, how is it only Tuesday? Since this was my last training ride before the race, I dropped off my road bike at Kyle's Bike Shop on my way home to get a tune up and a makeover -- I'm finally getting new bar tape installed that I bought over a year ago.  When I get it back Thursday night, I'll need to remove the bike rack (this is usually my commuting bike) and switch out the pedals as I'll wear my road shoes for the race instead of my bike sandals =P

I'm so ready for Saturday to get here already!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails