Saturday, May 16, 2009

New Plan: No Marathon?

I'm thinking of not training for a marathon nor joining the Galloway training group this year. I love running with them, and I eventually want to run a full marathon, but I don't think this is the right time because:
  1. I am a little burnt out of having a set running schedule and not being able to do anything Friday night because I have to get up so early Saturday mornings for a run.

  2. If I train on my own (or with Jason or other local running groups/meet ups), I can run every other day and my long runs can be either Sat or Sun. It will be really liberating to set my own flexible schedule and run for the fun of it.

  3. I've been and want to bike more, and I fear the added millage for the marathon and biking will leave me exhausted. So instead of training for a marathon, I think I'll enjoy it more if I train for some sprint/olympic duathlons, maybe a sprint triathlon, century rides, or even a half ironman duathlon!
    With this in mine, here are my New Goals for 2009:
    1. Improve my running pace and run a sub-30 5K by the end of the year.
    2. Run 1-2 half marathons and get a new PR (and ideally sub-2:30).
    3. Run 5K without walking (at whatever pace). I can probably do this now, but I haven't really tried in a while.
    4. Complete a sprint duathlon.
    5. Complete a sprint triathlon (maybe -- with a pool swim).
    6. Complete an olympic duathlon.
    7. Complete a half iron duathlon.
    8. Complete a relay race with family.
    These are some of the races I am considering, other than tons of 5Ks:
    Of coure, this is all bound to change and I may decide at the 11th hour that I do want to do a marathon after all, but just making this decision for now is a huge load off.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts with Thumbnails