Thursday, June 9, 2011

Running at Sea

I've been MIA for the past 2 weeks because I was on vacation on a 7-day Mediterranean cruise through Europe (Spain, France, and Italy). Before I left, I was busy getting ready for the trip. Since I returned Sunday afternoon, I have been playing catch up with work, sleep, and the Galloway Training program - both preparing for the first long run with the group I'm co-leading and working on our new website.

The cruise was amazing but very exhausting, yet I still managed to run 8 miles over 3 days. Many people would argue that when I'm on vacation I should take a break from training. But for me, running is not just training for a race. It is a way of life and something I enjoy. I don't need a vacation from running; I need a vacation to run more :) So I ran on the ship's jogging track on deck 12. The views were amazing, and I'm really glad I got to do that. Being on vacation though, I didn't worry about speed work or pushing too far. I just focused on having fun. I had one more run planned, but it was on the last day of the cruise, when I was already exhausted. Since we were at sea, the apparent wind was an absurd 30+ mph. That wasn't fun, and quite chilly, so I chose to skip it.

Now I'm back on land and starting to get my legs back and normalizing my eating and sleeping. We're already plotting our next cruise for my birthday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails