Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Eve

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, so this is my last day at work before five days off. w00t! In addition to the weekend and 2 paid holidays, I am taking Monday off to recover from the Space Coast Half Marathon, get a massage, and go to the dentist for my permanent crown. I'm looking forward to the time off, the races, and spending time with family, but not the internal battle that will ensue as I try to balance enjoying the holiday without overindulging.

Thanksgiving has never been my favorite holiday, probably because I've never really liked the taste of turkey--our family usually eats pork--and I don't recall my family ever making a big deal of this holiday. Ever since my lifestyle change, when I shifted my focus to healthy eating and fitness, I dread food holidays. It's hard to divorce the notion of using food as a way to celebrate, but I'm trying to change my thinking of what holidays mean and de-emphasize the yummy food while emphasizing time with family and more time to get outdoors and be active during those days off. Last year I managed to stay very active and lose weight while training for a marathon during the Christmas break, so I know it can be done. This year is compounded by the fact that I don't eat meat, so this will be and interesting holiday season.

Many of us will be participating in a Turkey Trot near us in an attempt to offset some of the food we'll be indulging in during the rest of the day, and because we just can't resist running one more race before the year ends :) This year I'm traveling to South Florida to spend the holiday with Jason's family, and we'll be participating in the Tamarac Turkey Trot 5k. I learned of this race from fellow local blogger/runner Robin, who is also heading south for the holiday and participating in this race. It will be nice to run in a new city yet share it with a familiar face and Jason's family.

I also signed up for the Feed the Turkey Virtual Turkey Trot to help raise money St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. It's a great cause and all proceeds go to charity. So even if you don't have a Turkey Trot near you, you can run/walk/bike your own 5k and support a great cause.

What are your holiday plans? Taking a trip? Running any races?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails